Monday, July 03, 2006

The Funniest Man There Ever Was

So here I am thinking that we really are not going to go to any more parties until the end of winter, but yesterday morning (Sunday) the alarm went off at 5am and we got up to drive for two hours into the bush to catch the last day of a two day party. It was fun and it was a beautiful day, but I dunno, I'm not sure it was worth it. Sometimes they kick on but this finished at 3pm and there's nothing quite as depressing as the arse end of a doof when the music shuts down and the valley echoes with the sound of car doors closing and engines starting up. We had to sit it out for a few hours because we had to straighten up for the drive. We had the tent but just didn't feel like staying because no one else was. It was a pretty ordinary couple of hours, we were torn between saying stuff it let's keep drinking and sleep in the car and sobering up to drive home.

Also, how to have your ego deflated... I was chatting to someone, telling them some random story, and they laughed heartily, which was good. It egged me on, I kept talking, they rolled about laughing. Realising that I could do no wrong, I continued to entertain with my razor sharp wit and keen and quirky observations, and they were clearly listening to The Funniest Man There Ever Was.

But then I stopped for a moment as they wiped tears of mirth from their eyes. The penny had dropped.

"Hang on - have you taken acid?" I asked.

They practically fell over at the hilarity of this and managed to reply in the affirmative through howls of laughter.

I packed my anecdotes in their bag and wandered away to find someone else to talk to.

2 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hahaha and no, I haven't taken acid.

Lee Bemrose said...

Yeah right, pair of acid freaks.